Enhanced SpeedStep hosed in -current ?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Mon Mar 17 11:45:10 PDT 2008

> Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 03:55:04 +0000
> From: "Igor Mozolevsky" <igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk>
> Sender: mozolevsky at gmail.com
>
> On 17/03/2008, Kevin Oberman <oberman at es.net> wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:43:19 +0000
> >  > From: "Igor Mozolevsky" <igor at hybrid-lab.co.uk>
> >  > Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
> >

> >  > On 16/03/2008, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >  It looks like my laptop runs full speed at all times, no matter what
> >  > >  powerd or I may desire.
> >  > >
> >  > >  Looks like the EST driver is (suddenly ?) not happy about the system.
> >  >
> >  > I thought that this could've been related to the lapic frequency
> >  > madness I was seeing in RELENG_7 on my T43p, so I axed cpufreq from
> >  > kernel config, and the problem's gone... So, it does seem like
> >  > something is not quite in cpufreq > RELENG_7_0...
> >

> > My experience with my T43 (not T43p) is that it does not play well with
> >  cpufreq. This is not new to 7-Stable. I have been seeing it since the
> >  system was new, just over 2 years ago. I always build my kernel without
> >  it.
>
> I'm not having lapic issues (or any others, AFAIKT) on my T43p w/
> RELENG_7_0 but RELENG_7 makes it really sluggish w/ cpufreq compiled
> in (perl timing tests fail as well)...

I have not had any lapic problems to date. I am still running a kernel
from Feb. 14, so I have not yeat updated to the on that gave you
problems. In addition, sine I always run without cpufreq, I hope to not
see it today.

I was just reporting that the T43 ran fine without cpufreq including
providing the fill array of CPU speeds and resetting the top speed to
800 MHz when on battery. Powerd works just fine in this configuration as
does the Gnome Frequency Scaling Monitor and the x86info monitor plug-in
for gkrellm.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)