envy24 and channel dead

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Sat Mar 15 10:10:02 PDT 2008

On Saturday 15 March 2008 10:45:24 sam wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm using envy24 driver for my m-audio audiophile 2496 with vchans.
> This works pretty well most of the time.
>

> If amarok is playing music, and I start eg gstreamer-properties and
> do a sound test there, then I see messages like
>    "ppccmm00::ppllaayy::ddsspp00..pp12::  ppllaayy  iinntteerrrruupptt
>     ttiimmeeoouutt,,  cchhaannnneell  ddeeaadd"
> And the music sounds as jaggy as the writing [only plays a loop of 1s
> of the piece or so, over and over].
>
> Sometimes this will crash the system.
>

>  From what I've tested so far this mostly happens when using amarok,
> and then letting a gstreamer-based applications play some sound.
> I have no problem using multiple instances of say mplayer or vlc
> while using amarok.
>

> Where should I start looking for the errror?

I've seen this error too. As you mentioned, it only seems to happen between
certain applications.

envy24 uses hardware mixing for playing multiple audio streams at the same
time. I don't know if vchans is even used -- you might try if disabling
vchans makes any difference.

Unfortunately I can't help to solve the problem but I can do some testing if
someone comes up with a patch.

--
Stefan