HEAD UP: non-MPSAFE network drivers to be disabled (was: 8.0 network stack MPsafety goals (fwd))

Mon Jun 30 13:17:25 UTC 2008

Quoting Robert Watson <rwatson at FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 30 Jun 2008
13:36:45 +0100 (BST)):

> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
>>> Here's the revised list of drivers that will have their build
>>> disabled in the next week (subject to an appropriate block of time
>>> for me):
>>
>> Is this list supposed to be complete (including dependencies)? bktr
>> uses some I2C stuff and cxm (in ports) too.
>
> As far as I'm aware, this list is complete.  I compiled it by
> identifying all network device drivers that set (or may set) the
> IFF_NEEDSGIANT.  With respect to i2c, this refers *only* to the
> if_ic.c network device driver, and not the other services associated
> with i2c, so bktr and other i2c consumers should be unaffected.  I'm

Ok.

> not familiar with cxm so can't comment on that.  If you are aware of
> any other in-tree network device drivers that use IFF_NEEDSGIANT and
> aren't on the list, please do let me know.

I think cxm is similar to bktr in this regard (both are multimedia devices).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
PARDON me, am I speaking ENGLISH?