URGENT: Need help rebuilding iir RAID5 array with failed drive

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 26 15:34:34 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 06:49 -0700, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hello,
>       First off sorry for the cross-post. I typically don't do this
> but this is an important question, so please bear with me. I'm just
> trying to get more eyes on the subject so I can (maybe) get a reply
> quicker...
>       I'm running 8-CURRENT on my machine and it appears that one of
> the disks in my RAID5 array has taken a nose dive (BIOS recognizes
> that it exists, but Intel Matrix Manager claims that the disk is an
> "Offline Member"). After doing some reading it appears that it's
> kaput, so I need to get a replacement disk to fix this one...
>       That aside, I need to determine how to rebuild the array in a
> Unix environment because Intel only provides instructions for how to
> use their Windows matrix manager. If anyone can point me to some links
> or provide me with some pointers on how to correct this issue, I'd owe
> you a lot; in fact the next time you come by Santa Cruz, CA I'll
> gladly treat you to some beers or something else you might want :)...
> Linux solutions (if there isn't a proper one for FreeBSD) are valid,
> as long as the core data remains uncorrupted and I can do what I need
> to from a LiveCD. I'm just scared to boot up OS and have it do some
> irrevocable operation like fsck -y and assume parity errors are ok or
> something along those lines  (I don't remember if I set rc.conf to
> fsck -y and I know I can change that from single-user mode, but I want
> to play things conservatively if at all possible) :\...
>       Filesystem is UFS2 with softupdates of course.
>       Point proven that I need to backup my data more often :(...
> TIA,
> -Garrett
>
> PS If replying on the questions@ list, please CC me as I'm not
> subscribed to that list.

I'm fairly sure that Intel Matrix metadata cant be created/modified by
fbsd, only read. You should be able to do whatever rebuild operations
you need in the BIOS I believe, but that would be an offline operation,
clearly.

I may be mistaken, and the driver can handle array rebuilds for matrix.
If it can, the command you are looking for is 'atacontrol rebuild ar0',
see atacontrol(8).

Tom