problem: world boot strapping from 7-C to HEAD with CDDL on sparc64?

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Wed Jun 25 20:55:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 08:57:54AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008, John Birrell wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 05:46:00PM -0400, Ed Maste wrote:
> >> All that said, I'd really like to be able to continue building head on
> >> RELENG_6.  (In my case I have a rather fast RELENG_6 box so I have been
> >> doing my pre-commit testing there.)  Do the changes we're discussing
> >> here involve anything that makes that difficult?
> >
> > Possibly. :-)
> >
> > It depends on whether your RELENG_6 box is up-to-date with respect to the
> > RELENG_6 branch.
> >
> > I think that as current diverges more from 7 it will be harder to keep the
> > tree building on 6.

Are we talking about changing the build-/cross- tools?  If not,
it shouldn't be affected.

> I think the problem here simply is that you are relying on the headers
> to be installed on the base system instead of in src|obj copies. I do
> not know if/how we do it for bootstrapping though.

If it's about build- and cross-tools, then yes, they rely on
the host compiler, headers, etc. because they will be run on
_this_ computer, using its CPU and the current kernel.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
ru at FreeBSD.org