CFT: BSD-licensed grep [Fwd: cvs commit: ports/textproc/bsdgrep Makefile distinfo]

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 18 22:30:24 UTC 2008

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Andrey Chernov <ache at nagual.pp.ru> writes:
>> "BSD sort" as an idea will be a good project indeed, but "BSD sort"
>> implementation we currently have at hand is totally misleading and should
>> be rewritten from the scratch, I realize it when long time ago I try to
>> localize it for single byte locales.
>
> I think part of the problem is that there aren't enough people who truly
> understand localization.  I think I understand most of it, but I'm
> pretty sure I *don't* understand how collation works, or is supposed to
> work.  Amongst other things, I don't understand how (or whether) it
> handles cases like "aa" and "å", which are considered the same letter in
> Norwegian.
>
> Perhaps you could create a Localization page on wiki.freebsd.org which
> addresses these issues, or at least points to relevant resources?

Good regression test suite which would include cases in different single
and multi-byte locates for grep/sort/etc could also be a big help.

Regards,
--
Maksym Sobolyev
Sippy Software, Inc.