Moving from smbfs to cifs

Antony Mawer fbsd-current at mawer.org
Wed Jun 11 04:53:01 UTC 2008

Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:07:02 +1000
> Antony Mawer <fbsd-current at mawer.org> mentioned:
>
>>      - Problems dealing with various character encodings in filenames
>
> What problems you mean? It has a '-E' switch to set encoding.
> E.g. '-E koi8-r:cp866' always works for me.

The problems I was referring to are mainly regarding smbfs on FreeBSD
talking to Samba on Mac OS X. My understanding (from conversations with
R. Imura) is that the Mac OS X implementation of Samba speaks Unicode by
default, whereas the smbfs implementation is not multi-byte aware.

This can lead to situations where files on the Mac OS X server with
multi-byte characters in the filenames are not accessible via SMBFS -
they appear with jumbled names in the directory listing, and cannot be
accessed using any name (smbfs returns "file not found").

I stumbled across patches available by R. Imura which are a work todays
adding Unicode support to smbfs, and from what I gather are derived from
changes in Darwin (Mac OS X) smbfs:

http://people.freebsd.org/~imura/kiconv/

There are potentially other improvements available from the Darwin SMBFS
implementation, available here:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.2/
http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/smb-348.1.tar.gz

--Antony