Anyone else seeing this (cvs wierdness)?

David O'Brien obrien at FreeBSD.ORG
Fri Jun 6 15:55:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 04:12:39PM +0200, Ian FREISLICH wrote:
> Recently - I guess in the last month or two - successive cvs updates
> always "updates" files in the following directories, this with no
> update to the CVS repo:
>
> cddl/contrib/opensolaris
> contrib/ntp
> contrib/ipfilter
> contrib/expat
> contrib/tcsh
>
> I sync a local CVS repo using cvsup and I update my source using
> 'cvs -q update -PdA'

Why are you always using "update -A"?  Basically all the reports of
weirdness are due to folks not fully understanding what -A does and is
for.

If -A removes stickly dates, tags, and (what you're seeing here) stickly
options.  Options can be set locally, in the ,v file on the server.  Some
keywords (such as $Name$) may need to be updated due to "update -A".

The new behavior we are seeing with "update -A" is due to fixing CVS bug
#17168 for 1.11.23 and 1.12.14, which more completely delivers on the
semantics of "update -A".

--
-- David    (obrien at FreeBSD.org)