DTrace for FreeBSD - status

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Thu Jan 24 16:04:25 PST 2008

sleep`walker wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>> Yes, and they've been hiring FreeBSD devs left and right...
>>

> Wow! Great news!
> Can you tell me, please, will Cisco replace IOS's kernel with FreeBSD's and
> port their configuration tools to FreeBSD, or it will be regular FreeBSD
> with it's tools and applications?
> I would like to see pf and csh on Ciscro router out of box ;)

Firstly, cisco makes a lot more than just routers.
Secondly, when it's embedded you will probably not know it's freebsd
or Linux or whatever. Cisco has a lot of Linux out there that you
don't know about. Some might become BSD based but you wouldn't see a
difference since you didn't know it was linux in the first place :-)

There is not any ONE os for cisco.  There are many and freeBSD will
in all probability not take over from them all. It's just another
arrow in the quiver.