4GB RAM with an intel core 2 processor

Baldur Gislason baldur at foo.is
Thu Jan 24 15:59:01 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 11:59:33AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> I don't know if PAE will fix your X video problems, though.  Probably
> the better bet all around is to run amd64.
>
> Scott

Even if PAE would fix the X problem I can't live without USB. This system
has no PS/2 keyboard controller.
I wasn't aware that amd64 was the same 64 bit architecture as used by Intel.
Are there any known backwards compatibility issues with running i386 linux
binaries for example if I switch over to amd64?
Also, could I switch to amd64 by just changing make.conf and doing a buildworld and buildkernel
or would I have to do a binary upgrade or maybe even a clean install?

Baldur