FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Jan 21 23:11:19 PST 2008

On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 09:09:48AM +0100, Dominic Fandrey wrote:
> Herewith I apologize for starting this thread. It caused a lot of useless
> noise on your lists and while our members have spent months intensively
> discussing the topic, they are now very reluctant about acquiring the
> information necessary to find the source of their problems.

Unfortunately this doesn't solve anyone's problems :-(

If we haven't opened up the lines of communication about how to get
the specific information that is needed to debug complex problems,
then the complex problems will remain unsolved.

One of the subthreads that was spawned was actually quite productive,
and has led to some ideas about how some of more expert users can
help to work with less expert users on issues like this.  (We can
conclude that submitting them to the PR database is only effective
if it happens to catch the attention of a committer on the way in).

IMHO that subthread alone made the whole thread worthwhile -- despite
the rest of the noise.  I hope we can build on the postive momentum
and interest from several new contributors.

mcl