Taking screenshots during install

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Sat Jan 19 14:11:36 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:05:37AM -0800, i b wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> How can I take some screenshots during install ?
>
> I have to write a paper about the 7.0-RELEASE install process so ...
>
> Thanks in advance,

Here's how I generated all the installation screen shots in "Absolute
FreeBSD":

Take notes on how you install, and which options you chose.

Install without taking screenshots.

Then run in console-only mode.  On the main console, run
sysinstall(8).  On the second virtual console, use "vidcontrol -p" to
capture the contents of the first screen to a screenshot file.  Then
use scr2png to transform that screen shot into a .png.

You can use sysinstall to generate all the screens you would during a
normal install.  Just don't commit any of the changes, and it won't
write to the hard drive.

Or, if you have a second hard drive, you can actually install on that
hard drive.

==ml
--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
      Now Shipping: "Absolute FreeBSD" -- http://www.AbsoluteFreeBSD.com