Strange /dev/tty behaviour on 7.0-PRELEASE

Jesper Louis Andersen jesper.louis.andersen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 15:34:39 PST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 1:08 PM, Kostik Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:

> After your post, I could imagine the almost plausible scenario how to
> get more then one /dev/tty in the listing, but the other behaviour that
> looks like deadlock, isn't.

Well, your commit here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/tty_pty.c.diff?r1=1.155;r2=1.156

gratiously provided to me by Peter Wemm solved the problem I had. I think we
are "talking past each other" with the lockup due to my bad choice of words:
The kernel did not deadlock, but a process executed after having multiple
tty's made that process hang with the ktrace I posted. The kernel itself
were still running fine though anything in need of /dev/tty would hang. I
hope this clears up the misconceptions.

The patch fixes my problem completely. Thanks!