FreeBSD's problems as seen by the BSDForen.de community

Harti Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Fri Jan 11 06:59:52 PST 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Timo Schoeler wrote:

TS>Thus Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt at dlr.de> spake on Fri, 11 Jan 2008
TS>14:59:26 +0100 (CET):
TS>
TS>> On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Timo Schoeler wrote:
TS>>
TS>> TS>No, I didn't. I said that the work is done ineffectively as he's
TS>> TS>doing underprioritized stuff. Working on higher prioritized stuff
TS>> TS>would be more efficient, and would help the project even more.
TS>> TS>
TS>> TS>Given the assumption that the developer is able to do both, the
TS>> TS>Xmas tree as well as importing ZFS v9 into the tree.
TS>> TS>
TS>> TS>(I don't see the point that when somebody is really *capable* of
TS>> TS>doing both things, why should (s)he do the 'lower priority' thing.
TS>> TS>If you are at the olympic stadium and you're the best sprinter,
TS>> TS>you wouldn't join the marathon...!)
TS>>
TS>> Sorry, this is just crap. I'm a rather bad guitar player, at least
TS>> much worse than I'm a programmer. Yet I enjoy playing Joe Pass at 1/4
TS>> the speed while I could import ZFS during that time ... People just
TS>> bring to FreeBSD what they like to do, not what would be the best for
TS>> you or others. If you want them to change priorities according to
TS>> YOUR needs, pay them money.
TS>>
TS>> harti
TS>
TS>Harti, you didn't get the point. You can also lead you dog into my
TS>yard, as long as you don't work on FreeBSD noone cares, really. The
TS>difference is *when* working on FreeBSD *what* do to -- xmas tree or
TS>ZFS.
TS>
TS>I thought this argumentation was pretty straightforward, but sometimes 2
TS>+2 is really 5...

I don't see the difference between working on what I like to work on in
FreeBSD and leading my dog (if I had one). It's just my choice because it
is my time. If I'd be paid for working on FreeBSD, it'd be different. If I
find the xmas tree controller more interesting than ZFS why should I work
on ZFS? You assumption is that it matters for you on what I work, but it
doesn't matter for me, so I could just work on what is good for you.

Well, this entire thread is just utterly off-topic.

harti