When will ZFS become stable?

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Jan 8 09:58:50 PST 2008

Ivan Voras wrote:
 > Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
 >
 > > Let try to think how we can warn people clearly about proper tunning and
 > > what proper tunning actually means. I think we should advise increasing
 > > KVA_PAGES on i386 and not only vm.kmem_size. We could also warn that
 > > running ZFS on 32bit systems is not generally recommended. Any other
 > > suggestions?
 >
 > I'd suggest we do give all three warnings (KVA_PAGES, kmem_size, i386)
 > at once, preferably both when the ZFS module loads and when a zpool is
 > created. I think it's important that the tree pieces of information be
 > given at the same time so the user doesn't need to hunt solutions
 > after panics.

How about including the URL of the ZFS tuning guide in the
warning message:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide

It contains all the necessary information for both i386 and
amd64 machines.  It can also easily be updated if necessary
so people always get the most up-to-date information.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
        -- Dick Brandon