Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 23:37:43 PST 2008

Hi Maxim,

On 06/01/2008, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Gary Corcoran wrote:
> > Perhaps the 7.0 release notes should include a note to the effect that
> > ZFS is *strongly* NOT RECOMMENDED on 32-bit systems at this time, due

[...]
The only place where FreeBSD/i386 beats FreeBSD/amd64 is
> desktop, due to binary drivers and such, but ZFS is almost useless
> there.

I don't think so. My guess is that partitioning/slicing disks is a
pain for most of the users. How does one tell how big a filesystem
should be, even or especially on the desktop? I found myself having to
cope with full filesystems several times.
Using ZFS even on one disk just to get rid of fixed partition/slice
boundaries is a good thing.

Christian