Should we simply disallow ZFS on FreeBSD/i386?

Erich Dollansky oceanare at pacific.net.sg
Sun Jan 6 16:06:31 PST 2008

Hi,

Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Gary Corcoran wrote:
>
> I believe that 95% of hardware today that realistically is capable of

I do not think so.

> running ZFS is also capable of running 64bit code, so that potential ZFS

All new hardware since Intel started supporting 64 bits on their
Pentiums is.

> limitations of already dying i386. And we are as a project are better

Let's see it much more practical. Are all features and all ports all the
time supported on all platforms?

I do not think so.

So, just make it a requirement for ZFS to run only on 64 bit upward.

It is not that FreeBSD does not have some kind o file system for older
machines.

Erich