ZFS on AMD64 - any recent crashes?

Morten Strårup morten at lightworkings.dk
Sun Jan 6 13:33:18 PST 2008

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In light of the recent discussion about ZFS stability, does anyone
> still have kmem_map_too_small panics on AMD64 after tuning it (as
> presented in http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide)?
>
> I'm interested in reports like this:
> http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/freebsd-current/2007/9/21/271557
> (note that this report is for an untuned system).

Yes, I've had one such crash.

The machine has 4GB of RAM and initially I set it up with vm.kmem_size
and vm.kmem_size_max set to 1024M. It's my home fileserver and I'm the
only regular user. After booting the box I had tested the transfer speed
back and forth over the net and after that not really used it any more
that day. The next day I discovered that it had crashed sometime during
the night. I've since changed the two tuneables above to 1536M and I've
not had any crashes since. I also tried with 2048M but that only
resulted in a crash upon boot.

Kind regards

Morten Strårup