ELF dynamic loader name [was: sbrk(2) broken]

Maxim Sobolev sobomax at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 4 15:43:47 PST 2008

Peter Wemm wrote:

> There are a whole bunch of references to the ld-elf.so.1 name.  Not just
> in our tree, but in external 3rd party code.  Even things like gdb
> "know" how to handle ld-elf.so.1.  Getting those upstream folks to add
> additional strcmp()'s for ld-elf-i386.so.1, ld-elf-amd64.so.1 etc will
> be hard enough, and it will add another hurdle that minor platform
> maintainers have to overcome.  ld-elf-mips-be-4Kc.so.1 anybody?  (ok,
> that last one is a stretch)

P.S. I wonder why gdb(1) and friends need that strcmp()'s and don't use
appropriate field from the elf header. I am pretty sure that dynamic
linker name is embedded on link time in there. At least that's the very
first string that is returned by invoking string(1) on any dynamic binary.

-Maxim