a new way to hang 7.0

Kris Kennaway kris at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jan 1 05:52:23 PST 2008

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>>> After correcting the destination path and REBOOTING, the dump
>>> is proceeding. I removed the L-flag too, just in case :(
>>>
>>> Is this really a new way, or is it well known already? Thanks!
>> -L has been hanging systems ever since it existed.  Don't use it.
>
> Why does `dump' implore me to use it, then?

Because the previous poster is being uncharitable with the facts :)
There are a history of problems with -L (more generally, UFS snapshots),
but these are believed to have been fixed over the past 2 years.  Since
you are claiming to have found a new one, please follow up with the
usual kernel debugging so someone can try and study it.

 > I wonder, if this is also
> a problem on DragonFlyBSD...

Since Dragonfly is FreeBSD 4 + some stuff it is unlikely that it even
supports UFS snapshots.

Kris