warning of pending commit attempt.

Marko Zec zec at icir.org
Thu Feb 28 15:54:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 28 February 2008 16:27:41 Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Marko Zec <zec at icir.org> writes:
> > Actually the patch provides certain level of support for
> > virtualizing leaf sysctl nodes.  So far I have only introduced
> > macros for methods / data types that I've found necessary to
> > virtualize, such as SYSCTL_V_OID, SYSCTL_V_STRING, SYSCTL_V_INT,
> > and SYSCTL_V_PROC.  [...]
>
> Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for.  Now all we need is a
> way to start a vimage with hw.machine and hw.machine_arch set to a
> vimage-specific value...

So your question opens up a pandora's box...  Obviously it's trivial to
virtualize a sysctl, but I still don't have a clear idea on what would
be the most convenient way of specifying start-up constraints or
parameters when instatiating a new vimage.  At the moment each
virtualized variable is initialized to some system-wide compiled in
constant - we need to come up with a much more flexible / configurable
model...

Marko