warning of pending commit attempt.

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Wed Feb 27 17:28:26 UTC 2008

Julian Elischer wrote:
 > At some stage in the next few weeks I will be trying to commit
 > Marco Zec's vimage code to -current. (only 'trying' not
 > for technical reasons, but political).

I think the vimage code is very exciting and useful, in
particular because it enables using multiple IP addresses
and IPv6 in jails.  In fact that's long overdue.

Pointing people to the p4 branch is not very helpful, I
think.  There seems to be lots of interest, but p4 is a
closed user group.  Unfortunately the public cvsup server
that mirrored the p4 repository doesn't exist anymore.

How about putting a tarball of the current code (against
HEAD) online on some webserver?  So many more people would
be able to test it, and I bet many are eager to do so.
If feedback is good and nothing breaks horribly, you will
certainly see less objections against committing it.

PJD did the same with ZFS, i.e. providing tarballs for
public consumption, and when the feedback was good enough,
it finally hit the tree.  I'm sure vimage will be a huge
success as well.

Just my 2 cents.

Best regards
   Oliver

Perl is worse than Python because people wanted it worse.
        -- Larry Wall