warning of pending commit attempt.

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Wed Feb 27 00:02:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-26 at 14:35 -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > IMHO, it would
> > be reasonable to get input from re@ as to whether they would like
> > the stack left alone for a while to simplify the resolution of any
> > issues that may crop up once 7.0 is released.
>
> I agree that we need to wait for 7.0 but 7 and 8 are already
> diverging, and the whole point of the 7 branch is to isolate 7 from
> -current.

From the re@ point of view I'd like to see this go in about a month from
now.  You are exactly right that it would be good to get it in early on
in what becomes the 8.0 release cycle.  But it's in Perforce so it's
visible to interested parties who want to look it over and have a chance
to kibitz before it gets into CVS, and now that you've given the
heads-up (thanks!!!!) people who think they might have a stake in this
know to go do that.  I know the 7.0 release cycle dragged on way way too
long (and I've apologized for that as much as I can...) but there is a
period of time after the release that we appreciate people not doing
stuff that's too drastic to ease any potential "emergency work" needed
as people start using the release.  That's the point of the week grace
period after the release that re@ holds on to ownership of the branch
before turning it over to sec-team at .  And we know for a fact we've got
some stuff already surfacing that's likely to need Errata Notices.
You've pointed out 7 and 8 are already diverging and given how long the
release cycle took I can't get too mad at people who have already made
significant changes but I'd still prefer it if they hadn't happened
quite yet.

If you think the month thing is too long I really can't stop you, but
this summarizes the feelings as re at ...  It's a balance between not
disturbing things too much in case "stuff comes up" related to 7.0 and
getting some major and promising work into the tree early in the release
cycle for 8.0.  Hopefully having it in Perforce between now and then
doesn't cause too much inconvenience.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu