mouss mouss at netoyen.net
Tue Feb 26 00:26:58 UTC 2008

Derek Ragona wrote:
> At 05:21 PM 2/25/2008, mouss wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having an ssh issue to a freebsd 6.2 (error in subject). this
>> happened after a power outage at the client side (client was
>> connected before that), and this is the second time. Ican still
>> connect to netbsd, centos and debian systems from the same client.
>>
>> Is there a problem with the ssh shipped with 6.2? (BTW the system is
>> running pf). if so, what's the recommended way to fix this? any other
>> ideas?
>>

> sshd has to be running on the system.

thanks for the quick reply.  I guess it is still as it barfs!

> Also you may need to delete any cached keys.  You don't say in your
> post what client you are using.

I tried with secureCRT and with openssh from a netbsd, debian and centos
boxes. same error.
I googled for the error, and it seems popular!
- I don't think it's an /etc/host* issue, as I was connected to the box
multiple times (and I tried from multiple IPs).
- I tried from a vmware hosts with no keys, just to make sure it's not a
key issue.

could this be a dns issue? the host is running a "caching" bind. I would
prefer not to disable dns lookup, but if this causes trouble...