[HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

Ruslan Ermilov ru at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 24 19:06:43 UTC 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 10:04:33AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 11:18:08PM +0300, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > now bootstrap BSD ar on systems >700044, and that we call
> > GNU ar/ranlib with the "g" prefix instead of "gnu-".
>
> Why are you going against my preferences for "gnu-" - if I liked "g"
> I would have done it that way in my patch.

The reasoning for the "g" prefix sounded sane to me.
Anyway, I don't want to argue about this point, and
will leave it to you to decide (I've reverted to the
"gnu-" prefix).

> Its seems those that have expressed an opinion want to switch to the new
> 'ar' ASAP.  So why not this patch?

Because your patch won't allow to cross-build on
systems predating 700044.

> (BTW, what is the sort order in Makefile.inc1?  BOOTSTRAPPING date and
> alphabetical?)

The intended order was by a pathname.  It's missorted
now.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov