[HEADS UP] ar(1) front-end committed. (notes for cross compile)

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sun Feb 24 18:10:05 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 06:00:07PM +0100, Kai Wang wrote:
> Would it be better if we call them gar and granlib?  Solaris did
> that. Also if I remember correctly, some ports probes gar.  We also
> call GNU make as gmake...

Why do we want

I don't like "gar" as that is pronounceable to the point I could easily
see that being the real name of an existing program.

Also, why do we want ports using gnu-ar specifically vs. what ever is our
native 'ar'?  If our native 'ar' isn't up to the task, we shouldn't be
doing this endeavor at all.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)