2 core dumps

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Feb 22 11:09:35 UTC 2008

Mikael Ikivesi <mikael.ikivesi at pp.inet.fi> writes:
> I have checked for overheating as it was my first quess but the answer
> is no. And these dumps happened without powerd. I only manually enable
> 1800Mhz sometimes if I need extra speed. It seems to be highest
> sustainable speed for this machine. Powerd heats this laptop too much
> without manually setting _PSV value to much lower. And the result would
> be the same 1800Mhz.

Your laptop overheats when running at its rated frequency?  That's your
answer.  Hardware error.  Most likely incorrect application of heat
transfer compound between the CPU and the heatsink, or blocked or
defective fans.  If your CPU has overheated even once, you can't trust
it any more, unless it has an automatic cutoff like Core and Core 2.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no