2 core dumps

Mikael Ikivesi mikael.ikivesi at pp.inet.fi
Tue Feb 19 19:48:57 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:09 +0100, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Mikael Ikivesi wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > with RELENG_7 (4-7 days old) I have come across with 2
> > panic/reboot.
>
> Both look like signs of failing hardware to me.

This didn't happen with RELENG_6. For me it only paniced once because I
forgot to unmount usb drive before I removed it.
Little while ago I upgraded to RELENG_7. The problem appeared few times
after that.

And this has not happened with Linux.

If I switch from X to console and back I get some jerkiness/momentary
freezing of system. This might be related to synaptics touchpad or
radeon xpress 200m.
And I think these are related to crashes too.

It takes a moment before X comes back after hitting alt-F9. First the
screen is bit corrupted and only then it gets back properly. During this
corrupt screen phase most of the stuff freeze for a moment. Few media
players continue to play music uninterrupted (ex. audacious) but most of
them always freeze for awhile (ex. mplayer)

Moving touchpad before X has 'resumed' properly sometimes causes this
freezing to last more than 5 secs. The second of the coredumps happened
just few seconds after this kind of freezing and switching back to
console.

Is there anything I can do to help tracking reason for these panics?

-Mikael