panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block (7.0-RC1)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 19 13:49:48 UTC 2008

Miroslav Lachman wrote:
 > panic: ffs_blkfree: freeing free block

I had exactly the same panic, also on a FreeBSD 7 system
with gmirror.  I'm not sure if it's related, but I tell
you my story anyway ...

Apparently it was caused by a bug that caused corruption
in the file system.  The bug was fixed in October, IIRC,
but the corruption remained and eventually crashed the
machine again.  A forced fsck ("fsck -f -y") seems to have
fixed it for me finally.

So, my recommendation is this:
 - Make sure you update to the latest sources.
 - "fsck -f -y" all your filesystems in single-user mode.
   Alternatively, newfs them and restore from backup.

Best regards
   Oliver

"I invented Ctrl-Alt-Delete, but Bill Gates made it famous."
        -- David Bradley, original IBM PC design team