Adaptec AHD U320 operating as only U160

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Sun Feb 17 15:36:45 UTC 2008

Niki Denev wrote:

> With aic79xx_osm.c 1.30 all of my U320 drives are detected as such. Thanks!
> I'm only wondering why with the latest version
> "cpi->transport_version" is set to 2, and
> then set to 4 on the next line? Probably you left it there for readability?

It was an oversight.  It seems that this section of code came from the
aic7xxx driver where, depending on controller model, the protocol version
must be reported differently.  I missed some of the duplication when trying
to remove it in my last checkin.  :-( Should be fixed now.

> Nope, no SES enclosure, just plain 68pin scsi drives.
> I have now put version 1.30 of aic79xx_osm.c on two machines,
> One of them is running the Dtrace snapshot of 8.0-current
> with dual channel PCI-X Adaptec U320 controller (on a plain
> 32bit/33mhz pci slot) :
>
> ahd0 at pci0:4:1:0:        class=0x010000 card=0x00429005 chip=0x80129005

The error only occurs on rev B. controllers (0x10 reported in the PCI
revision register).  The machine not reporting the error has an A4
part.

> Then there are several messages like this one too :
> Copied 18 bytes of sense data offset 12: 0x70 0x0 0x5 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0
> 0xa 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x20 0x0 0x2 0xcf 0x0 0x0

Invalid command opcode.  CAM will usually report the command that failed.
You don't see any other output?

--
Justin