dump(8) hangup on RC2

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 13 16:41:24 UTC 2008

Hi!

I recently installed the RC2 snapshot and discovered an interesting
problem: dump utility frequently hangs up independently from what and
where it dumps. Several other people also reported the same problem.

When the hangup occurs, the main dump process freezes in the state
sbwait, awaiting some input from child proceesses, wheere the last
ones hangs in 'pause' state.  It looks like some signal problem,
though I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any suggestion what it can be or how to debug that?
It seems that at least BETA2 isn't affected by this problem.
I tried to use ktrace to find something, but can't see anything wrong
in its output.

Thanks!

--
Stanislav Sedov