FreeBSD 7.0-RC2 Available

Ian FREISLICH ianf at clue.co.za
Wed Feb 13 08:00:12 UTC 2008

Hi

I just installed and only now noticed this oddity (to me at least).
Maybe it's been explained before, but I can't quite remember.

I selected auto defaults for the slice editor.  The system I installed
(amd64) on has 16GB of RAM yet it only assigned 4GB for swap.  I
remember reading that on amd64 minidumps could corrupt neighbouring
filesystems, so a full dump could be up to 16GB.  There won't be
enough space for a full dump.  That said, 16GB is quite a *lot* to
swap out and I'm not sure how the system would perform under that
scenario.

What's the prevailing wisdom?  Is this a variable storage type bug
in the installer - int in stead of an off_t or size_t?

Ian

--
Ian Freislich