Panic when connecting USB drive to amd64

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 9 00:24:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 07:02:46PM +0100, Ben Stuyts wrote:
>> Excuse the crosspost, I don't know if this is amd64 specific or not.
>
> I have connected the same drive to a different system, running a somewhat
> older version of i386 7.0, and it does not panic. So maybe it is amd64
> specific. Here are the drive's details that came up:
>
> FreeBSD jirad.altus-escon.com 7.0-BETA4 FreeBSD 7.0-BETA4 #3: Tue Dec  4
> 17:03:57 CET 2007 root at jirad.altus-escon.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

The kernel you paniced with is from Feb 2008.  It would be helpful if you
could try either a BETA4 kernel on your AMD64 machine, or a Feb 2008
kernel on your i386.

Also note, if these two machines are different, they can easily have
different hardware and thus trigger/not-trigger the problem just due to
the HW differences.