FreeBSD 7.0 on DVD

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Feb 1 09:56:35 PST 2008

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 16:41:37 +0100 (CET)
> From: Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current at freebsd.org
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm replying both to the KOI8-R charset problem and to
> the 7.0 DVD question.  Please skip the part(s) that
> you're not interested in.  :-)
>
> Bachilo Dmitry <root at solink.ru> wrote:
>  > Julian H. Stacey wrote:
>  > > Bachilo Dmitry wrote:
>  > > > --===============1475038008==
>  > > > Content-Type: text/plain;
>  > > >   charset="koi8-r"
>  > > > Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
>  > > > Content-Disposition: inline
>  > >
>  > > My EXMH doesnt seem to repond well above, clicking on reply.
>  >
>  > Well, I'm using KMail and write to this mailing list for a while now, there
>  > was no such prublem before
>
> I think the problem is that your mail uses the charset
> "KOI8-R", and Julian's MUA doesn't know how to handle
> that.  Maybe you should configure your mailer to send
> plain ASCII when mailing to international (English-
> sepaking) lists?
>
> On the other hand, my client doesn't send plain ASCII
> either, but ISO8859-1 (or -15, depending on the type of
> terminal I'm sitting at).  I'm not aware of any problems
> caused by that.
>
> In fact KOI8-R is a superset of ASCII (just like the
> ISO8859-* and Windows-1252 character sets).  So such
> messages can be displayed as-is if they don't contain
> characters beyond 7bit ASCII.  I think metamail is
> clever enough to just do that.  At least it does that
> for me; I had no problems displaying Bachilo Dmitry's
> message, except for a few characters (cyrillic, I guess)
> in the attribution line that were converted to question
> marks.  Not a big deal.
>
> I'm afraid I'm not familiar with EXMH, so I don't know
> if this is helpful information.  Does EXMH call metamail
> for MIME-formatted messages, or does it try handle them
> itself?
>
> BTW, I'm surprised that it simply seems to display the
> raw base64 data.  If it doesn't know how to handle the
> charset, it should either display the decoded data as-is,
> or don't display it at all and give an error message.
> I'm sure there's something that needs to be configured.
>
> OK, now to the DVD topic.  :-)
>
>  > > to http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm
>  > > and you can "Pre-Order FreeBSD 7.0 DVD"
>
> By the way, Lehmanns (www.lob.de) will produce a DVD-ROM
> of FreeBSD 7.0 shortly after release (page is in German):
> http://www.lob.de/cgi-bin/out?isbn=386541263
> They're in Germany, though, so it probably doesn't make
> sense for you to order there.
>
>  > If I only could now download 7.0-RC2 DVD and Install it on
>  > some server right now, that would be a pleasure, but I will
>  > have to work as a CD-changer instead.
>
> I'm not sure I understand you here.  You only need one CD
> (the one labelled "disk1").  It contains everything you
> [...]

I just sent Julian a private message with how to fix exmh to handle
quoting properly. This a commonly reported problem with exmh and is
trivial to fix by setting preferences differently.

The default, which does not decode base64 or quoted-printable messages,
is faster and I could write some trivial elisp hooks for XEmacs to make
it work right, but setting exmh to do it is easier and it is only
noticeably slower on very large messages.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)