Laptop w/ dark screen & no (working) keyboard

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Tue Dec 30 18:37:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 01:26:37PM -0500, Robert Noland wrote:
> It is possible that drm is waiting for resources, but I'm doubtful that
> drm is the real problem.  It sounds like the screen is going black when
> X attempts to start.

Yes, it's in the transition from "text" to "graphics" mode.  I use xdm
on the laptop; I also run RELENG_6 & RELENG_7 (from other slices), and
until the first week of December, I don't recall seeing this before.

> You could try disabling drm in your Xorg.conf and
> see it that helps. (Option "DRI" "off" in the device section).

OK; worth trying.

> Do all
> of the drm messages appear on the console before it hangs?

Yes, but they also appear when it doesn't hang (whether running
RELENG_6, RELENG_7, or HEAD).

> I'm most suspicious of the acpi errors/warnings, but that isn't
> an area that I have experience with.

I believe an appropriate technical term is "black art."  :-}

OK; the laptop has rebooted (following the above-cited change), and for
a "sample size" of 1, there was no period longer than about a second or
so that the screen stayed dark.

So if that's repeatable, I'd suspect something involving DRI/drm,
possibly involving interrupt handling...?

> robert.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.