NAT (ipfw/natd) broken in latest -CURRENT

Vadim Goncharov vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
Tue Dec 30 12:20:37 UTC 2008

Hi Li, Qing!

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:55:01 -0800; Li, Qing wrote about 'RE: NAT (ipfw/natd) broken in latest -CURRENT':

>>> I have checked in a fix for this issue (r186308), which turned out to
>>> be a problem in the ppp module. The ppp module updates the p2p host
>>> route that was installed during the tunnel configuration, however, the
>>> ppp code always set the RTF_GATEWAY flag. The patch has been verified to
>>> be working by Joe.
>> Will it break again all the NAT-PMP using programs which need to determine
>> IP-address of default gateway? Currently it works with mpd, which sets default
>> gateway to correct IP, not an interface or self route.
> I don't quite understand your question.
>
> The ppp route insertion code always set the RTF_GATEWAY flag
> regardless whether the gateway information is present.
> I fixed the code such that the RTF_GATEWAY is set only if
> gateway is given.
>
> This ppp bug appears to be uncovered by the arp-v2 changes, however,
> I was informed another thread on net@ also raised a ppp issue
> of similar erroneous behavior in 7.x.
>
> So if I remember correctly, the problem you've reported is
> a different issue. I had to fix the kernel code.

The problem is, many NAT-PMP utilizing programs (e.g. p2p-clients) according
to protocol specs do lookup of default gateway's IP address. FreeBSD
ppp implementations tend to include correct address of gateway, so
lookup works, while some other ppp implementations specify something
other, e.g. inetrface route, self address... Will this change break those
progs on FreeBSD too?

--
WBR, Vadim Goncharov. ICQ#166852181       mailto:vadim_nuclight at mail.ru
[Moderator of RU.ANTI-ECOLOGY][FreeBSD][http://antigreen.org][LJ:/nuclight]