Shooting sysinstall/SADE geometry warning in the head

Niclas Zeising niclas.zeising at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 21:40:11 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 9:45 PM, Rink Springer <rink at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 12:39:54PM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
>> The problem is this patch keeps the message and extra steps to get into
>> the Fdisk editor.  No other OS I've tried would warn/note/complain about
>> these disks in this machine.  So why keep the message for FreeBSD?  It
>> just makes FreeBSD look like its finicky about disks (and maybe suggest
>> less compatible than other OS's?).

This might actually be quite scary for new users migrating from other
operating systems. I remember when i first installed FreeBSD and got
that warning, it is a bit scary and you wonder what's wrong with your
disks. In the end just ignoring it seems to work fine, and I've done
so. Still, the warning is a bit scary and might scare off potential
users.
So from a user's/admin point of view, I'm all for nuking the message
if it's bogus anyway.

> I agree; FreeBSD is the only OS that complains about this, and ignoring
> the warnings has always worked perfectly well for me. Thus, let's just
> nuke the message and get it over with.

regards!
//Niclas