"geometry does not match label"

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 26 08:53:19 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 06:43:49PM -0800, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2008, at 9:22 AM, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
>> partition c: partition extends past end of unit
>> bsdlabel: partition c doesn't start at 0!
>> bsdlabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard system
>> utilities
>> partition h: partition extends past end of unit
>>
>> I don't know where this is coming from--the system was installed
>> about a year ago with standard sysinstall--and I don't see what's
>> supposed to be wrong.
>
> Apparently sysinstall creates faulty disklabels.

Can you elaborate?  I'm getting it on several machines also.
Right now, I'm trying to upgrade to a larger disk in one machine
tonight... Xmas present to myself...

What is the "approved" way to slice a disk into 4 regular slices and
than partition the slices?  The only sane way to do this is (was?)
sysintall/SADE.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)