HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

Hartmut Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue Dec 23 22:27:59 UTC 2008

Li, Qing wrote:
> Hi Hartmut,
>
> I appreciate your candid feedback. You raised many valid points.
> I combined both of your emails in this reply, please see my
> comments below ...

<snip>

> You are absolutely right. This was a complete oversight on my part.
> I was telling myself "I think I am forgetting something".
> ... then I remembered when the first port breakage report arrived ;-)
>
> To be fair though, I did send a message titled
> "last call for L2/L3 rewrite code review" a week before the commit
> to net@, current@ and all of the developers.
> And I have sent many emails on this subject in the past few years.
>
> A couple of points I hope you could recognize:
>
> 1. The arp-v2 project replaces a major networking kernel design and
>    all of its dependencies that have been in operation for many years
>    (16+ ??). The networking kernel went through quite a surgery so
>    do expect things will continue to evolve.
>
> 2. This is the first time I am making such a major change in the
>    kernel. Since I am still learning the process, I am bound to
>    make mistakes but I will not repeat these mistakes in the future.
>
>    My goal is to be diligent in monitoring the problem reports and
>    provide timely responses and fixes.
>
> And finally I want to thank you and others for your hard work in
> helping me cleaning up the ports.

Well, my mail was probably somewhat harsh, I'm usually more polite. You
know, that's the kind of mood you are in after a couple of hours of
useless work. Of course I appreciate your work and, I must say, you're
an hero for taking this.

In any case there is still an Todo on my side: the routing information
for NETNATM is currently lost somewhere between L2 and L3 :-) I guess I
come back to you in the new year to fix this issue... Have to fetch my
ATM equipment from the corner where it is collecting dust to setup a
testbed.

In the mean time I will do an bsnmp import to fix the arp table problem.

keep on your good work,
harti