HEADSUP usb2 (usb4bsd) to become default in 2 weeks.

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 23 20:17:02 UTC 2008

* Sam Leffler <sam at freebsd.org> [081223 09:53] wrote:
> Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> >* Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav <des at des.no> [081223 07:14] wrote:

> >>You know very well that there are, and you also know very well that this
> >>is too big a change to go in without discussion.
> >>

> >Perhaps you can list them for me, all I've seen so far is:
> >
> >1) Sam has code he doesn't want to port (Hans has stepped up to do so.)
> >2) Another 1 or 2 developers have code that needs porting and we're
> >   in discussions with them about it.
> >3) I think you were mad about whitespace or something, but like this
> >   case, you were not up for bringing specifics to the table.
> >
> >If you have something to add then please be more specific with your
> >requirements.
> >

> As usual you've misconstrued my comment and ignored all the substantive
> issues that have been brought up since the code was added to the tree.
> The fact that you need people to list issues for you shows how out of
> touch you are.  It is pointless to argue issues with you yet again so I
> will simply say that I have always been in favor of moving the usb code
> base forward.  In fact I strongly suggested you commit the new code _in
> place_ of the existing code.  As to my work I have said I'm not
> interested in working w/ the new usb code so someone else will need to
> bring in the missing functionality (same goes for all wireless
> drivers).  I believe that person has stepped up so this is not an issue
> for me.

Sam, I have an email address and since Hans and I are the points
of contact for usb2 work I have seen little if any emails directed
towards me in a constructive manner about the project from a few
key detractors.

There are a few shining examples of developer interaction with us,
but unfortunately a bunch seem to be based on private emails,
discussions on irc and other back channels that I'm just not privy
to.

Calling me "out of touch" for not being welded to the FreeBSD-rumor-mill
is just unfair.

So I implore you to take the high road and suggest that people take
these issues to me directly when they come up, instead of blindsiding
me when I try to take the next step with this project.

In so far as telling me to bring it in place, perhaps I dream of
black helicopters jumping fences instead of white sheep, but it
really seemed that you were dead-set against the new stack to the
point that I realized that putting the new stack over the old one,
would suddenly have potentially huge backlash making the project a
failure.  You know that and I know that.

Finally, since your concerns about your code are addressed, then
why even bother responding?  Let it go man.

--
- Alfred Perlstein