usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Dec 12 20:27:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've got a HP ScanJet 4300C that seems to be a little bit
stubborn.

It doesn't work with the old USB code, so I updated to
8-current and compiled a kernel with the new usb2 drivers.
Now I get:

usb2_alloc_device:1590: Failure selecting configuration index 0: USB_ERR_TIMEOUT, port 2, addr 2
ugen0.2: <Hewlett Packard> at usbus0
uhub_reattach_port:402: could not allocate new device!

"usbconfig list" says:

ugen0.1: <OHCI root HUB nVidia> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
ugen1.1: <EHCI root HUB nVidia> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON

Is there anything I can do, except for forgetting about
this scanner alltogether?

(The scanner does have an LPT connector, but the computer
does not.  I assume that the scanner wouldn't work with a
USB-printer adapter either, because SANE probably only
works with "real" LPT ports.)

Best regards
   Oliver

"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,
lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination
of their C programs."
        -- Robert Firth