Problem in malloc.c, rev. 1.183 while building phonon-4.2.0

Kyle Allender kallender at completecomputing.com
Mon Dec 1 18:22:34 PST 2008

Jason Evans wrote:
> Kyle Allender wrote:
>> Stefan Farfeleder wrote:

>>> You need at least an updated libc.  build/installworld will do that but
>>> there are faster ways for this small update.  After that you can
>>> continue building kde.
>>>
>> OK.  I've kicked off a buildworld as that's about the only method I
>> know that will resolve this issue.  The "faster ways" I'm unaware of -
>> if someone could enlighten me, that'd be great.  Buildworld will work
>> in the meantime, though.
>
> In this case of libc, it's usually a good idea to do the full
> buildworld, since libc gets statically linked into various toolchain
> binaries.  Fortunately, this bug in malloc only affects multi-threaded
> applications; otherwise you'd have an unrecoverable system (though I
> would have noticed that before committing).
>
> Jason

I ended up issuing a cd /usr/src/lib/libc; cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make &&
make install which did the trick - the KDE4 installation was able to
proceed after that.  I appreciate your help and will make a note of the
better ways to do what I was after this morning.

I would suppose I should go ahead and kick off a buildworld when the kde
build completes later this evening.  Will that necessitate having to
rebuild the ports or would that be possible to put off until a later
time?  The system should remain stable correct?