Unicode-based FreeBSD

Alexander Churanov alexanderchuranov at gmail.com
Sun Aug 31 20:18:24 UTC 2008

2008/8/30 Konrad Jankowski <lichave at gmail.com>

> I support the initial idea - i'd like to 'cat' UTF8 encoded Polish
> files in the console. And this can easily accommodate most European
> languages. But there will need to be a secondary switching mechanism
> for selecting which part of the Unicode is being mapped at the time.

There is a "scrnmap". The difference is it maps from 8-bit to 8-bit now, and
I want it to map from UTF-8 to 8-bit.

> We also get a bonus - for people that use languages like Polish, they
> can stay in text mode and not loose speed, which is Inherent with
> VESA.

Yes, people will be able to read and write Polish in syscons. At the other
hand, reading Polish and Russian at the same type will not be possible.
However, users are already able to do it right now. The improvement is that
people will use a single encoding for configuration files, manual pages and
other things - UTF-8.

Alexander Churanov