Inserting flow-control chars with an mpsafetty kernel

swell.k at gmail.com swell.k at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:38:19 UTC 2008

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at freebsd.org> writes:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 14:39:45 +0400, swell.k at gmail.com wrote:
>> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> writes:
>>> Hi Ed,
>>> After installing the mpsafetty changes it seems that flow-control ^S
>>> and ^Q characters cannot be inserted inserted anymore.  I first
>>> noticed this when CTRL-S stopped working as 'search-forward' in
>>> Emacs, but it seems the same problem exists in /usr/bin/vi, vim, bash
>>> and a few other programs that I tested.
>>>
>>> With a kernel before the mpsafetty changes, I can fire up /usr/bin/vi
>>> and type in insert-mode `^V^S'.  This correctly inserts a ^S
>>> character.  With a kernel from svn revision /head at 181939 ^V no longer
>>> quotes the next byte in vi(1) and other programs.
>>
>> Could you possibly be trying to type them inside screen(1)? If so, are
>> they working correctly outside it?
>
> Yes.  I was using screen when I tried this.  Now that I tried outside of
> screen, C-s and C-q work in Emacs and ^V^S or ^V^Q works in /usr/bin/vi.
>
> Is this a known bug of screen?  Are there already patches floating
> around to fix it?

I don't know. What I know that it was way before mpsafetty was merged in
-current. It didn't really bother me to verify and report it since I don't
use non-windowed Emacs often enough. But from my observation ^S/^Q do work
in copy mode and it still present in screen.git too and didn't fixed in
mpsafetty-20080824.diff.gz.

So it's just `me too', sorry.