Reminder: non-mpsafetty drivers to be connected on Sunday

Ed Schouten ed at 80386.nl
Fri Aug 1 11:39:37 UTC 2008

Hi all,

One month ago I sent a schedule to the lists about the MPSAFE TTY code
I'm working on. It contained the following:

* Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl> wrote:
> August 3 2008:
> 	Disconnect drivers from the build that haven't been patched in
> 	the MPSAFE TTY branch.

This means I'm going to disconnect these drivers on Sunday. I posted a
list of drivers some time ago. The list of drivers is a little different
than what I had posted:

- I omitted ppp(4) and sl(4) on purpose, because I expected they would
  already have been disconnected by this time (IFF_NEEDSGIANT).

- It seems I forgot to mention ucycom(4) and ufoma(4). These have not
  been ported to the new TTY layer.

This means the complete list of drivers is:

| USB: ubser(4), ucycom(4), ufoma(4)
| ISA/PCI: cx(4), cy(4), digi(4), rc(4), rp(4), si(4), sio(4)
| Line disciplines: ng_h4(4), ng_tty(4), ppp(4), sl(4), snp(4)

There are a couple of important things to mention here:

- Some line disciplines (ng_h4(4), ng_tty(4) and snp(4)) will be
  restored in the future. After the new TTY code has been imported, a
  hooks interface shall be developed, which will allow these drivers to
  work once again.

- PC98 still uses the sio(4) driver. I've decided not to touch PC98 at
  this moment. I'll contact the PC98 folks one of these days, to see if
  we can already perform a partial migration to uart(4).

Wrapping up, I'd like to say I really hope we can one day see these
drivers reappear in FreeBSD. Fortunately we've still got a long time
before 8.0-RELEASE.

Yours,
--
 Ed Schouten <ed at 80386.nl>