problems with 7.0 kernel page faults

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 12:25:10 PDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 07:18:25PM +0100, Chris wrote:
> Submitted 2 PRs for 7.0 we only been using it for a few hours and have
> had repeated kernel page faults crashing the system so was
> dissapointed considering this is said to be nearly ready for release.
>
> PRs are
>
> 116719 and 116720 in misc.
>
> First one was caused by simply running reboot, I recompiled world with
> -O which seems to prevent this occuring.
>
> Second one is when running 'killall watch' with at least 1 watch
> process running this causes the kernel to page fault and this happens
> even when compiled with -O.
>
> If anyone is interested can post logs dmesg etc. and have a kernel
> dump for the 2nd problem.
First one will never be diagnosed since you provided no useful information.

I am interested in second one. Please, send the "bt full" backtrace from
the coredump. I tried to reproduce it locally with snoopper attached to
both ttyv and pseudoterminal, but cannot.

When reporting the kernel problems, following guidelines in the developer
handbook would facilitate faster responses.