TSP on em makes send of streams very slow

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sat Sep 22 19:28:22 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Vogel" <jfvogel at gmail.com>

> It is on by default because it the majority of cases its a benefit, you
> found it to be a problem and turned it off, your problem is solved.

I think the issue here is that when we install a machine we expect it to
just work TM, we dont go looking at all the possible options for something
that "may" cause an issue.

Yes he spotted there was a problem, investigated and found a solution
but I'd guess this took a fair amount of time and hence is not something
we ant others to have to go through.

> I admit, at one point I considered disabling it automatically for anything
> under Gig speed, but a large community has used this driver with this
> feature for over a year, no one has lobbied to have to disabled, so I
> have not.

Much as this sounds like an option if TSP doesnt provide any real gains
at 100Mb, the main question is why should enabling this option have such
a massive detrimental effect on performance?

Surely this is work investigating and fixing? The issue could be
manifesting itself in other ways on 1Gb and 10Gb could it not? So a
fix could provide additional benefits.

The key issue I suppose is to understand why there should be such a
drop in performance, hardware, driver or OS issue?

    Regards
    Steve