Memory allocation problems (ZFS/NFS/amd64)

Borja Marcos BORJAMAR at SARENET.ES
Thu Sep 20 14:56:39 PDT 2007

On 20 Sep 2007, at 12:02, Borja Marcos wrote:

> I've just tried using the echo service from inetd, and the server
> is keeping 1024 established
> connections without that error. I just don't understand why this
> can fail with Apache, but it seems it's an issue with -current, as
> we have a similar setup with 6.2(i386), same hardware, and it works.

Here's what I've found out. Apache was confgured by a different
person, and I didn't notice that the MaxClients parameter was set too
low (159).

Setting it up to a high value (1024) has made those errors disappear.
So that "memory limit" was actually that the system was dropping
connection requests from the listen queue. The error message is quite
looks misleading to me. At least I had never seen it, so it caught me
by surprise.

Sorry about the confusion. I will go on doing tests and let you know
the result.

Borja.

"The thing he realised about the windows was this: because they had
been converted into openable windows after they had first been
designed to be impregnable, they were, in fact, much less secure than
if they had been designed as openable windows in the first place."
    Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"