Memory allocation problems (ZFS/NFS/amd64)

Borja Marcos BORJAMAR at SARENET.ES
Thu Sep 20 02:05:30 PDT 2007

On 20 Sep 2007, at 10:37, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Borja Marcos wrote:

>>> Just a guess: what is your vm.kmem_size_max and have you tried
>>> increasing it?
>> It's the first thing I thought, and I cranked it to a very high
>> value just in case:
>> vm.kmem_size_max: 1073741824
>
> You actually wanted to tune vm.kmem_size too or it may not actually
> change the value used (_max is just a ceiling for autotuning).
> However if this is i386 you can't set it that high without also
> adjusting KVA_PAGES too (which has other effects).

It's an amd64. I understand that i386 is mostly out of the question
if I want to play reasonably safe with ZFS :)

Oh, ok. I will try with both, then. Should I try the same value?
Perhaps it's a bit high, but I understand that with a 64 bit address
space I can set it sort of arbitrarily high without many side effects.

Thank you very much,

Borja.

"The thing he realised about the windows was this: because they had
been converted into openable windows after they had first been
designed to be impregnable, they were, in fact, much less secure than
if they had been designed as openable windows in the first place."
    Douglas Adams, "Mostly Harmless"