BIND performance under FreeBSD 7-CURRENT

Daniel Gerzo danger at FreeBSD.org
Sun Sep 16 03:35:02 PDT 2007

Hello Peter,

Sunday, September 16, 2007, 10:40:23 AM, you wrote:

> As some of you know back at BSDcan 2007, I made it known that we had
> seen BIND9 performance suffer under FreeBSD and that under threaded
> build on SMP systems, Linux had blown FreeBSD out of the water in terms
> of performance.

> As it's now (well was) EuroBSDcon, one of our engineers re-ran the query
> test I mentioned back at BSDcan and it looks like the work kris@ has
> spearheaded has paid dividends.  Re:

> -=-
> Last night I built a disk with the August snapshot and re-ran the test.
> FreeBSD performance is indeed much improved -- almost as good as Linux.

> fbsd-7-current (200704)        44K queries/sec
> fbsd-7-current (200708)        84K queries/sec

I'm almost certainly sure, that the 7.0 monthly snapshots are shipped
with the debugging kernels, would it be maybe possible to re-run test
with non-debugging kernels?

--
Best regards,
 Daniel                            mailto:danger at FreeBSD.org